This is a continuation of my electrical roughing-in series.
In this article, you will learn how to install a triple gang electrical box (also known as a three-gang box).
NOTE. THIS IS NOT A 3-WAY. A 3-WAY IS A TYPE OF SWITCH TO CONTROL A LIGHT FROM TWO LOCATIONS. A 3-GANG BOX HOLDS 3 ELECTRICAL DEVICES (LIKE SWITCHES AND PLUGS).
This brace (support) should be the same width as the wall.. if it’s a 2×4 wall, use a 2×4 brace. If it’s a 2×6 wall, use a 2×6 for the other side of the box.
What We Cover in this Article:
- Installing a Triple Gang Box (and Supporting It [Bracing])
- Recap of Installing Electrical Boxes
Installing a Triple Gang Box (and Supporting It [Bracing])
A triple gang box requires a support on both sides of the box.
This is a code rule!! Any electrical box that is triple gang or larger (four-gang box, etc), requires a support! (This support is also known as a brace).
This brace should be the same width of the wall so that when drywall gets installed on both sides of the wall, this support (brace) gets sandwiched, and gives a strong install for the box.
Often, the drywaller screws into this support to stabilize our triple-gang box.
Note – a brace/support is different than an electrical scab.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Installing a Triple Gang Box
- Know the height of your top of box
- Install your screws firmly with your drill
- Two screws for a single-gang box
- Four screws for double-gang box (1 in top ear, 1 in bottom ear tab, 2 in the front)
- Six screws for a triple-gang or four-gang box (1 in top ear, 1 in bottom ear tab, 2 in the front, 2 in the support/brace!)
- If the box is close to another box, measure to screw hole (or use a laser).
Recap of Installing Electrical Boxes
So far, we’ve covered a lot about installing electrical boxes.
You’ve learned about:
- Installing a Single Gang Box
- Installing a Double Gang Box
- What is an Electrical Scab
- What is Roughing in for Electricians
- An Electrical Rough-in Material List
Don’t miss all the articles of my roughing-in series for electricians.
I also suggest viewing my recommended tools for apprentice electricians.. Those were my exact tools I used while I was an apprentice, and they gave me a phenomenal experience.
Oh yes, you may also like some funny electrician jokes. 😁
As always, leave a comment if you have ANY QUESTIONS. These articles and videos are here to help you learn how to become an apprentice electrician!